THE MERCHANT COMPANY of EDINBURGH PRIZE FOR INITIATIVE
Think of a project — Tell us about it — Do it — Win a Prize!!!!!
Aged 13-18 and live in Edinburgh or the Lothians? Join us in making a difference in your local community! Take initiative, have fun, make a difference, and be in the running for a Prize!
The top prize of £500 is awarded to a person or group for demonstrating any of the following:
- Initiative & Enterprise
- Environmental, Community and/or Charitable involvement
- Business Skills
Two second place awards of £250 are available for the runners up!
Do something new — Gain Recognition — Supercharge your CV!
Registration opens 26th of May and closes 16th of July.
Project completion report submitted by the 31st of August.
The Merchant Company and the Prize for Initiative
The Merchant Company of Edinburgh has been active in Edinburgh for over 300 years, proudly supporting business, charitable, and educational efforts in the city! The Prize for Initiative encourages the next generation of young entrepreneurs to develop their potential and achieve something new for their communities!
So what qualifies as demonstrating initiative? Below are some examples of what past finalists have done to win!
Four pupils from Castlebrae CHS Young Achievers Group constructed a wood-fired pizza oven made from recycled and upcycled materials. The pizza oven provided a focal point in a remembrance garden of a much loved member of staff who had died of cancer.
Aya Riad, who is 15 years old, undertook a series of fund raising activities to raise funds for Medecins Sans Frontieres, recognising that for every £10 raised, 21 children can be vaccinated against measles. Activities included a cake sale and contacting businesses to raise money for a raffle prize.
A team of six pupils from George Heriot’s who raised a total of £2,534.05 for the Salvation Army. The money was raised using a variety of initiatives including organising a talk by Gareth Williams, CEO of Skyscanners, which was attended by 250 people, selling home-made laser cut Christmas Decorations, and home baking.
- 2015/2014 – Start up Glitteratea, tea and fashion show at Sheraton in aid of Maggie’s Centre
- 2015/2014 – English for speakers of other languages
- 2013 – Band Off! The battle of the bands
- 2013 – Helping at and fundraising for Erskine homes and exposing & making photograph cards
- 2013 – YouTube Channel to promote talent and producing film voice overs
- 2013 – Doghurts, Yoghurts for dogs
- 2012 – Beesofunky: education about the honey bee (fund raising, baking, sponsored run)
- 2011 – Development and production of School Tartan
- 2010 – Nutritional awareness at School
- 2009 – Organising a charity run
- 2008 – Charity concert and Ceilidh
- 2007 – 4 school pupils started the Engineering Society and Science magazine
Proudly sponsored by
Today’s Initiative, Tomorrow’s Enterprise